An organizational meeting was held in Iowa City Nov. 23, 1940, to form an association of Iowa physical therapists. On Dec. 14, 1940, in Des Moines,
was officially organized, and Loraine Frost was elected president, Hilma Anderson, vice president and Helen Foss, secretary-treasurer. At its
inception, the association had 13 members.
A charter was issued to the Iowa Chapter by the American Physical Therapy Association June 17, 1949. The Chapter was incorporated in Iowa Feb.
11, 1955, as the Iowa Chapter American Physical Therapy Association. In January 1965, legislation was introduced to license physical therapists
in Iowa. On May 27, 1965, Governor Harold Hughes signed the bill into law, which became effective July 4, 1965. The first physical therapists
on the licensure board were Ann McColley, Philip Abood and Frank Hazelton. In 1990 the name was changed to Iowa Physical Therapy Association.
An allied foundation was established in 1986. Incorporated on March 31, 1986, as the Iowa Chapter American Physical Therapy Foundation, the name was changed in 1990 to Iowa Physical Therapy Foundation.